Sunday, April 19, 2020

Homemade Sweet Potato Slips

Last month I found a purple sprouting sweet potato in the pantry. It had obviously been left too long. I read somewhere that the tubers grow slips and that you can grow a sweet potato plant with them. I have decided to carry out an experiment. I hope to harvest sweet potatoes this fall. 


I cut out the sprouted end and used the rest of the potato for cooking. I pierced 3-4 toothpicks in the sprouted end to provide support and placed it in a glass of water. I placed the glass on a window sill. My window is south facing and gets direct sunlight all afternoon. I believe some sunlight throughout the day should suffice. I have changed the water every other day. I am using tap water. Two weeks into the experiment I got this. 


I think it is ready to plant in the garden and my vegetable bed is ready for it. But I have decided to wait a little longer. I want stronger roots to give the plant the best chance of survival. I will update on the progress of this little experiment in the next few weeks.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Spring Migration: Hummingbirds are here

So happy to report a hummingbird stopped by my yard today. It spent time on the red sage, pretty much the only flower blooming in the garden...