Thursday, April 23, 2020

Spring Migration: Hummingbirds are here

So happy to report a hummingbird stopped by my yard today. It spent time on the red sage, pretty much the only flower blooming in the garden apart from the pink salvia greggii. The pictures are terrible because I had to capture it from inside the house through the window screen. But I am posting them as a record of the sighting.

I have researched and planted native plants in my garden in an effort to attract birds and pollinators. We live in the migration corridor. So every spring and fall we expect to see hummingbirds and monarch butterflies. It is such a pleasure to see these little creatures dancing around the garden feasting on the plants we put out for them. 


I know a lot of people put out feeders. I do not. I cannot believe there is anything good in white sugar and water. It is devoid of all nutrients. Instead the nectar produced by the plants has an abundance of nutrients to nourish their little bodies. If you are on planning on putting out feeders I encourage you to plant native species instead.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Spring Migration: Hummingbirds are here

So happy to report a hummingbird stopped by my yard today. It spent time on the red sage, pretty much the only flower blooming in the garden...